1955 Studebaker E Pickup
Studebaker was the oldest continuous American manufacturer of wagons and automobiles until their demise in 1966. Founded in 1852, Studebaker produced wagons for farmers, miners and the military. Studebaker also manufactured carriages for four US Presidents: Harrison, Lincoln, Grant and McKinley. All four original carriages are on display at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana. (President Lincoln rode in a Studebaker carriage to Ford’s Theatre the night of his assassination).
Studebaker started manufacturing gasoline powered vehicles in 1904 and although smaller than its competitors, always had innovative and exciting designs. Their trucks however, continued to be spartan and practical. Trucks were, after all, made to work. 1955 was the first year Studebaker used the “E” nomenclature on their trucks. The logic is simple: 1955 is E1, 1956 is E2, 1957 is E3, etc. Some years used the same E# for multiple years before changing, culminating in the E8 in 1963/1964, the last year the trucks were made. Very little changed from year to year since Studebaker was experiencing tough financial times and management was investing R & D into cars, not pickups.
This pickup was originally purchased by Pacific Beverage Company in Oxnard, California and donated to the museum in 2005. It has occasional parade duty and is a clean example of a mid 1950’s pickup.
New truck prices for the Studebaker for the 1955 model year was about $1,500 ($12,582 today).
Serial No: N/A
Engine Cyl: 8
Engine Size: N/A
Engine HP: N/A
Trans: 4 speed