1975 Jaguar XJ6 CL
Jaguar is a British multinational car manufacturer headquartered in Coventry, England. It was founded in 1922 as the Swallow Sidecar Company, originally making motorcycle sidecars before developing bodies for passenger cars. The Jaguar XJ is the flagship model of the Jaguar brand. Originally introduced in 1968, the XJ Series is still being manufactured by Jaguar. Upon its introduction in 1968, the new Jaguar XJ-6 replaced all the sedans which preceded it.
The signature 4.2-liter DOHC six-cylinder engine delivered 180 hp and was matched with anti-dive suspension, power rack-and-pinion steering, power disc brakes, two Zenith-Stromberg carbs and either an automatic or manual 4-speed transmission with overdrive. Inside there were leather seats, walnut fascias, and enough gauges for a small plane. The XJ-6 was the last Jaguar designed by company founder William Lyons, and it was a fine balance of refinement, luxury, and performance.
Handling is superb. 1975 was the first year for a coupe. Although not popular with the buying public when new, coupes are highly sought after today. This car is further optioned with a factory sunroof, and long wheel base.
This beautiful car was gifted to the museum in October 2017 from the Robert Dibley Family of Santa Barbara. We are glad that it is part of our permanent collection.